Virgin is one of the most exciting brands in the world, with a reputation for excellence and a unique culture across its diverse range of businesses.
This unique brand is built by breaking into markets to offer consumers a better deal, a better service, or a fresh, innovative way of doing things. This has been Richard Branson’s vision for the brand since the early 1970s.
The Virgin Group focuses on the following core consumer sectors of :
Health and Wellness
Music & Entertainment
Travel and Leisure
In these markets, Virgin is able to break in and shake things up. Virgin companies are positioned in every market they operate in to be the consumer’s champion, which is achieved by delivering to its brand values.
The Virgin Group is a family of businesses with a shared brand. The companies are run independently and often have different shareholders and boards. As Virgin grows around the globe, the Group needs to ensure that the new businesses created, operate from the start with a strong emphasis on Brand, People and responsible business practices.
Virgin Management is the home of Virgin. It supports the Branson family and the growth of the Virgin brand by developing and nurturing valuable Virgin businesses around the world. The team has offices in Geneva, London and New York and covers many facets of business including investment, legal, finance, tax, human resources, marketing and corporate relations. It also works alongside Virgin Unite, the charitable foundation of the Virgin Group and alongside Virgin Enterprises which licences the ‘Virgin’ brand.
Virgin Red is a Virgin start-up that launched in beta as a new Virgin Business in the UK in July 2015. There are many loyalty, reward, discount etc. schemes out there today but this will be different, it will be done in the Virgin way. We will thread the Virgin personality and values across everything we do – Virgin is our differentiator!
In brief, Virgin Red is based on the opportunity of having a Virgin Membership program that gives rewards its members for ‘Living a Life More Virgin’ through our three reward mechanics around play, get and share; we provide a fun gamified ‘playful’ experience, access to ‘get’ offers, experiences and money can’t buy experiences from Virgin companies and selected third parties, and opportunities to engage and ‘share’ with the Virgin community. This job gives the successful candidate the chance to shape Virgin Red into a business that changes loyalty, rewards and membership programs for good.
This role will sit in the Platform (specifically Product) Team and will focus on the end-to-end customer experience across communications, mobile app and web, as well as our design identity and consistency across Virgin Red. You will be our design lead, champion of all things user and will own the UX! You will work as a key member of the Product team and will collaborate with the Virgin Red team on a daily basis to lead, define, prototype, design, test, create and deliver new products and features. You will have a thorough understanding of user problems through user research, usability sessions and data analysis, take broad concepts, and turn them into useful products for millions of users. You will think and operate at both the conceptual level and at a high level of detail to ensure delivery of complete features on time. You will be expected to utilize your full range of product design, interaction design, visual design and management skills to shape the future direction of Virgin Red products and services.
- Ensure that the end-to-end consumer experience - across communication, website and app - is consistent from a brand identity, design, imagery, and content and adheres to mobile best practices
- Participate and run regular user focus groups, team ideation and brainstorming sessions, team retrospectives, product reviews, and design sessions
- Work with the Product team to collaborate with the Virgin Red team to prioritise customer discovery
- Lead the UX and design discovery through producing rapidly multiple concepts, prototypes and wireframes; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fi sketches in an iterative fashion
- Conduct focus user research and usability testing to ensure that concepts meet consumer needs and solutions address issues and opportunities
- Design and create web and native mobile assets according to platform best practices
- Work with our development agency design resource to ensure the implementation of UX and designs is pixel-perfect
- Provide design support for Virgin Red team where necessary e.g. in-app messages, email images, icons, website or blog banners
- Work with our design and marketing agencies and VML Brand team to play an influential role in the brand identity, visual design and implementation of the brand narrative
Essential skills and experience:
- Fun, hardworking, innovative, original and personable
- 3-5 years of product design experience, ideally in a software as a consumer and service business with responsibilities leading projects and UI designers around you
- Experience of Lean UX and working closely with agile development teams
- Considerable experience designing native mobile applications across iOS and Android, as well as mobile web and desktop
- Strong understanding of interaction design, UX & UI principles, information architecture, processes and best practices
- Solid understanding of user centred design process, sketching user journeys, wire framing, design patterns, prototyping and usability testing
- Extensive involvement in planning and conducting design research, and identifying patterns and insights from the research to inform and shape your product’s strategy
- Excellent working knowledge of design/UX tools e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, InVision etc.
Desired skills and experience:
- Previous experience within working in B2C e-commerce, publishing, gaming, retail or customer loyalty industries
- Previous experience working within a B2B product or a two-sided marketplace platform
- A good understanding of the technical feasibilities of both web and mobile technologies (e.g. HTML, CSS, JS, iOS, Android etc.) and have high proficiency with prototyping tools
- Working with outsourced development and leading outsourced designers/ design teams
- Strong design skills with understanding of usability and interface design, and flexibility in delivering design ideas within established frameworks
- Excellent communication skills and can effortlessly and clearly articulate your design decisions
- Experience of presenting to senior stakeholders
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
When you provide us with your CV or application, our People Team will use the information you provide to assess your application and for our recruitment and related People Team purposes. This may involve your information being passed to trusted third party services providers who may store or process your data on our behalf, which may take place outside of Europe. As part of this process, we may also, where appropriate, share your information with other members of the Virgin Group or other Virgin related entities. Please let us know if you have any questions around this.